• Thomas P. Kasulis, “Questioning”
“A class is also a process, an independent organism with its own goals and dynamics. It is always something more than even what the most imaginative lesson plan can predict.” (2)
Ask students at the beginning of the semester what they want to get out of the class; repeat that to them the following week, then ask them at the end of the semester if they learned, etc. that topic.
Invite students, especially if they are shy and introverted.
Give options: Allow students to choose their preferred form of course involvement.
• Dave Cormier, “Rhizomatic Education: Community as Curriculum”
• Zach Whalen, “Notes on Teaching With Slack”
• Sharon O’Malley, “Professors Share Ideas for Building Community in Online Courses”
• (Optional): Sean Michael Morris and Jesse Stommel, “The Discussion Forum is Dead; Long Live the Discussion Forum”